Bell's Palsy; Day Ten

So this is the magical tenth day where recovery *might* begin. But it didn't.
Last night I started thinking about what might have been different on Monday that wasn't true yesterday. What I remembered is that I had a bit of a stress headache and took an Ibuprofen for it. Later that night, I started experiencing the spasms. So I did some Wikipedia research and realized that Ibuprofen is one of the NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs). OK, I was prescribed a steroidal treatment during the first few days specifically to reduce the nerve inflammation  I wonder if NON-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs might be helpful and did I accidentally discover this on Monday?
So I began a self experiment. I treated myself to 12 hours of Ibuprofen during the day. Then I will take a Naproxim Sodium for the night (12 hour dose) and see if there is any effect by tomorrow morning. Now I do need to tell anyone reading this that I'm willing to do this because it is a low risk thing for me. I am a large man (6'3" and 280 lbs) so any toxicity from those drugs is mitigated by my body weight. If I were more petite and frail, 'self-medicating' like this would be a Bad Idea. I am NOT recommending this. And I'll likely get yelled at by my physician when I meet with him tomorrow.
Stay tuned for the results.
In other areas, I spent much of the morning meeting and talking. By the time lunch rolled around, I was exhausted. I went home to rest my eyes. Three hours later, I woke up. The lesson: I can function with most of my life stuff, but I am fatigued far more than normal.
But, on the plus side, I was able to go without the eye patch for all day. Later in the evening, I did have to put it back on.
I did receive a couple of very nice "get well" gifts: one was an 'edible arrangement' and the other was a gift card to a nice local restaurant. So I'll definitely be getting my daily servings of fruit for the next couple of days and it'll be nice to treat Barb to dinner.

No comments: