20170815

RFG

RFG stands for Redemption, Forgiveness, Grace. And there are some reading this right now who could use very large doses of redemption, forgiveness, and grace. 

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight (Eph. 1:7-8 ESV)

Redemption is getting something back to where it belongs. Grace is getting something good in spite of the fact that we don't deserve it in any way. Forgiveness is pretty well understood by everyone. But here we learn that forgiveness from God is based on overflowing, extravagant, inefficient, more-than-is-necessary grace.

Redemption and forgiveness occurred within the wisdom of God (he is no fool, he knew exactly what he was doing), and in the understanding of God (he knows what our condition is and what we need).
Regarding my relationship with God, the nastiness of my life can only be dealt with by grace – there is truly nothing I can do on my own to fix, heal, or restore a good relationship with God. That is one of the key ideas of Christianity: there is nothing I can do because it has all been done. What was needed to be done was accomplished by Jesus.

Now, having said that, there may be natural consequences of my nastiness in the human world. Perhaps outright punishment; maybe the warping of my soul; perhaps disqualification for some advantage. Still, God has done all the work to make our relationship (between God and myself) whole – and he offers that to me as a gift to be received. This a Big Part of what we call The Gospel.

Now, once I – as a Christian – understand and appreciate that work of God on my behalf, it becomes Really Important for me to recognize that God has done that for other believers, as well. I should be patient with other believers. So, I should give them some slack.
And to get my attention outside of the building, it is also Really Important to recognize that God wants to do that very work for those who are currently unbelievers. So, I should not be an obstacle in their responding to that invitation to grace!

And now back to where we started: Are you one of those people who really need redemption, forgiveness, and grace? Are you not where you belong? Is there a broken relationship that should be fixed? Is the situation so bad that you need a complete - and undeserved - restart? That's why Jesus took on the punishment for your sin - and mine - so that we could have redemption, forgiveness, and grace.

No comments: